Thank you for your interest in lending a hand to your community.
You’ve come to the right place to find everything volunteers will need to get your team organized and registered for action. Keep reading to get started and learn more about how it will all work.
In 2022, United Way of Hancock County will host week-long Days of Caring events May 2-6, and an additional event Sept. 19-21. We are looking for corporate groups and service organizations who would like to lend a hand.
Teams and individuals can sign up for 4-hour time blocks (8am-12pm or 12pm-4pm) and will be assigned a project. You can indicate on the Volunteer Team Registration form if certain days or time slots are better, if your team has any physical restrictions, or if you have a preference to help certain agencies or causes. We can't promise a perfect match, but we'll do our best to make a great one.
Registration for fall volunteer teams will open July 12, 2022. Deadline to register is Aug. 12, 2022. UWHC will connect volunteer teams and agencies for final project planning on or before Sept. 8, 2022. Fall Days of Caring will take place Sept. 19-21, 2022.
Keep reading to learn about the role of a volunteer team leader, how to prepare for the event, and what will happen the day you volunteer.
Days of Caring: Guidelines for Volunteer Teams
- Teams can determine the type of project that fits their interests. Volunteers United will match projects based on time availability, interest in the agency, type of work, special skills, or exertion level. We cannot guarantee a perfect match, but will do our best to make a great one. It is, of course, easiest to match a group with flexibility.
- Designate a team leader to coordinate your volunteer team. The team leader will communicate with team members, the United Way of Hancock County, and the agency they will be helping. On the day of the project, volunteer teams will need to have a leader at each location/time slot.
- Team leaders will need to meet with or talk to the agency representative before the project to establish an understanding of what needs to be done. Communicate to team members where to park, or if carpooling will be necessary, suggested clothing, any tools to bring, any physical safety hazards, and review any safety protocols.
- The team leader will distribute the digital UWHC Volunteer Sign In for their team. Please fill out this form prior to completing your project and return the digital form, a scan, or photo via email of the sign-in sheet to email@example.com
- Fall Days of Caring volunteer teams are invited to wear their Spring Days of Caring T-shirts. If you do not have a shirt from the spring event, we will provide you with one for a fun sense of unity while volunteering. Team leaders will pick up T-shirts at the United Way office as the event nears.
- At each project location, the agency should have a signup area. The team leader will direct each volunteer to sign a liability release for the agency. The day of the event, volunteers become the volunteers of the agency, not the United Way of Hancock County. Agencies may also have name tags to pass out.
- Please bring water or a snack if you think you will need it.
- Please be aware that media representatives may be present.
- Enjoy and have a wonderful day! We can’t thank you enough for taking this opportunity to measurably improve people’s lives.