Starting as a combined agency fund drive to reduce the overhead costs of fundraising, the Three-Way Drive of Youth Activities organized in the 1930s to support Hancock County's Camp Fire Girls, the YMCA and Boy Scouts.
In 1955, the group reorganized as the United Community Fund and expanded its impact to include programs addressing health and safety net services. Agencies benefiting from the fundraising organization included Cancer Patient Services, Hancock County Mental Health Association, American Red Cross and Salvation Army.
On March 4, 1972, the United Community Fund voted in favor of changing its name to United Way of Hancock County. This action was in alignment with United Fund trends of the time and came with the added benefit of national campaign advertising.
Since then, United Way of Hancock County has supported more than 150 programs and services impacting the areas of health, education and financial stability to measurably improve people's lives in Hancock County.